Happy Spring Everyone! Man, I can’t tell you how happy I am that another Chicago winter is behind us. There’s nothing better to a midwesterner, in my opinion, than to feel the warm breeze on your face and smell the sweet scent of spring air once all the snow has melted. Now that the spring season is upon us it’s time to get our spring cleaning done. So here’s a few tips to get the residue of old man winter out of your home until next year:
- Thoroughly air out your house. Might sound obvious, but many people don’t like to, or maybe even forget to “open those windows”.
- Give your house a good cleaning. If cleaning the house is really “not your thing”, then hire a maid service for the day. There are many good ones out there and they’re not very expensive. Treat yourself and your home to a good cleaning.
- When you or your service clean your home, always use natural cleaners. They’re safer not only for your home, but for you and the whole family; that includes any pets. Many homeowners unknowingly subject their pets to all sorts of harsh chemicals that can make your pet(s) ill. Folks, there is simply no reason to clean with chemicals. The natural stuff works just as well. The more chemicals you introduce into your home, the more your body has to process and eliminate.
- If you have carpets, get them cleaned to, especially if you don’t require people to take off their shoes in the house (which you should). Remember, a carpet is really nothing more than a giant dust rag, and over time it collects all sorts of contaminants.
- And of course, don’t forget the air duct system, which includes the filter. If your furnace has a humidifier, then the switch should be turned off as the weather gets warmer, the water supply should be turned off and the humidifier pad should be thrown away. And then next fall a new one should be installed. You never want to run your humidifier at the same time that you run the air conditioner.
Enjoy the weather and have fun kicking old man winter out of your house.